What is PASS?
Born out of necessity to increase safety in schools, PASS, or the Partner Alliance for Safer Schools, is a nonprofit organization established in 2014 to combine public safety and education expert knowledge in order to create and carry out a coordinated and cohesive approach to use proven security practices in K-12 schools and allow for informed decisions on security purchases.
According to their website, “the mission of PASS is to provide school administrators, school boards and public safety and security professionals with information, tools and insight needed to implement a tiered approach to securing and enhancing the safety of school environments based on their individual needs, nationwide best practices, and making the most effective use of resources available.”
Safety and Security Guidelines
In 2015, PASS released the Safety and Security Guidelines for K-12 Schools, a comprehensive guide of best practices aimed specifically at securing educational facilities. It includes everything from locks and communication systems to architectural elements. In the latest edition, vape sensors and passive weapons detection technology were added.
Per the PASS website, the guidelines also include the following.
- Specific actions that can effectively raise the baseline of security
- Vetted security practices specific to K-12 environments
- Objective, reliable information on available safety and security technology
- Assessment of current security measures against nationwide best practices
- Multiple options for addressing security needs identified, based on available resources
- How to distinguish needed and effective solutions from sales pitches on unnecessary products
PASS and DH Pace
School security is increasingly at the forefront of the minds of not just school administrators or police departments, but students, staff and parents as well. PASS provides actionable guides for increasing student safety and securing school facilities in an ever-changing world.
For more information on how you can secure your facility, contact DH Pace. Our team of security and compliance experts will ensure that you have the best solutions for your space and comply with all necessary fire and life safety codes.